However, sometimes you get an idea into your head and think "I haven't seen that done before."
In this case the idea was to use the edges of the dividers to provide the piping between the panels. A combining the decoration with the attachment. Neat, efficient and simple I thought...
In reality it became one of those jobs that an extra set of fingers would have been very helpful for.
Three pieces of leather, one folded over to make the piping all needing precise alignment while piercing with an awl for the saddle stitching. Not really in a position that is clamp-able, although I never normally use a pony anyway, and the way the layers are laid out means that you can only ever see two edges at a time. Other leather workers will have some idea of how challenging that was.
The piping also resulted in seam joints bringing eight pieces of leather together in twelve layers on a turned internal seam which required very complicated stitch arrangements.
I have made some tricky items over the years but this was, quite surprisingly, the most complex construction I can remember.
I suspect that may be why I've never seen it done this way before.
I think I must have use just about every technique I have learned over thirty odd years working with leather and possibly invented a couple of new tricks in the process.